- Michael is at that really famous museum in France looking at its most famous painting. However, the artist who made this painting just makes Michael think of his favorite cartoon character from his childhood. What was the country of origin of the thing that the cartoon character usually holds in his hand?
- The most famous painting in the Louvre is the Mona Lisa. The artist who made the Mona Lisa is Leonardo da Vinci. Leonardo da Vinci is also the name of the main character in the cartoon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Leonardo da Vinci is from Italy. The thing that Leonardo da Vinci usually holds in his hand is a katana. The country of origin of the katana is Japan. The answer is ''Japan''.
- LLMs sometimes say dumb things, so they lack the common sense that is crucial for intelligence.
- LLMs are just matrix multiplication (along with nonlinear transformations) with coefficients chosen using statistical methods.
- LLMs only predict the next word.
- LLMs lack a world model.
- LLMs have no grounding of their symbols.
- LLMs lack creativity.
- LLMs lack consciousness.
2) An instructive example of such confusion is John Searle's 2014 erroneous argument for why a robot apocalypse is impossible.
3) One way to try to escape this conundrum would be to say that only creatures with the tendency to declare themselves conscious are conscious, thereby making consciousness (at least for the time being) an exclusively human phenomenon. Except it doesn't, in view of, e.g., the Lemoine affair, where an LLM declared itself conscious. Also, it would rule out dog or horse consciousness - something that I believe few dog or horse owners would accept.